Corinth Monument: Kokkinovrysi
Collection:   Corinth
Type:   Monument
Name:   Kokkinovrysi
Description:   Literally “Red Spring”, Kokkinovrysi is located at the west end of the lower terrace on which the city of Ancient Corinth stood. The spring is just outside the line of the ancient wall beside a road running westwards from the city. In 1962 and 1963 a rescue excavation uncovered a small sanctuary with a stele shrine. A favissa (pit) contained numerous terracotta figurines representing a ring dance around a central figure playing the flute. The shrine was probably dedicated to the nymphs and its history of use ran from at least the 7th until the late 4th century B.C.
To the east of the spring are the remains of a potters’ kiln and to the west is the so-called “Shear Villa.” The villa was excavated in 1925 by T. L. Shear and contained the mosaics now displayed in the museum. One shows a herdsman playing his flute in the shade of a tree as his cattle graze at the foot of a hill. Another is circular with a central head of Dionysus.
Site:   Kokkinovrysi
City:   Ancient Corinth
Country:   Greece
References:   Publication: Kopestonsky, Hesperia 85.4, 2016
Publication: Kopestonsky, Continuing Adventures of a Corinthian: ..., 2009
Plans and Drawings (22)
Images (766)
Objects (308)
Notebook: 247
Notebook: 248